SWIMMING POOL WITH LIQUID NITROGEN? THE DEADLY POOL PARTY THAT LEFT ONE MAN IN COMA WHILE OTHERS HOSPITALIZED

Crowded soiree: There were about 200 people who turned out at the pool party, among them several hostesses hired to promote the drinks

Partygoer, 21, in a coma and eight others hospitalized after swimming pool was filled with LIQUID NITROGEN at Jagermeister event in Mexico

  • Victim Jose Ignacio Lopez del Toro remains in a coma after suffering damage to his cardiovascular system
  • Pool party was organized in the city of Leon by German alcoholic drink maker Jagermeister
  • Liquid nitrogen dumped into the pool reacted with chlorine, forming a toxic cloud

By Snejana Farberov and Micaela Mclucas

A 21-year-old man was left in a coma and eight others were hospitalized after attending a weekend pool party in the Mexican city of Leon where organizers of the event poured liquid nitrogen into the water.

According to authorities of the Health Department of Leon in the state of Guanajuato, the party that took place Saturday was organized by Jagermeister, the alcoholic beverage maker based out of Germany.

According to witness accounts and videos recorded at the event, organizers of the soiree hosted in La Colonia Granjas El Palote attempted to create a smoke effect by pouring four buckets of liquid nitrogen into the pool.

Scroll down for videos

 
Bad move: Employees dressed in orange unfirms could be seen pouring liquid nitrogen into the pool, which quickly filled with thick white smoke

Bad move: Employees dressed in orange unfirms could be seen pouring liquid nitrogen into the pool, which quickly filled with thick white smoke

 
Party gone awry: The event held in the Mexican city of Leon was hosted by the German alcoholic beverage company Jagermeister

Party gone awry: The event held in the Mexican city of Leon was hosted by the German alcoholic beverage company Jagermeister

 
Crowded soiree: There were about 200 people who turned out at the pool party, among them several hostesses hired to promote the drinks

Crowded soiree: There were about 200 people who turned out at the pool party, among them several hostesses hired to promote the drinks

 

 
One girl in a coma and eight injured after liquor pool party
 

 

Officials say that when the liquid nitrogen came in contact with the water, the chemical substance reacted with the chlorine and formed a toxic cloud that left the young party goers gasping for breath, Excelsior.com reported. 

Guests who were milling about around the pool quickly realized that those inside the water began passing out and quickly called for help.

Blacked out: Hostess Jael Jimenez said she passed out from the fumes while swimming in the pool and was rescued because other gusts spotted her tray floating in the water

Blacked out: Hostess Jael Jimenez said she passed out from the fumes while swimming in the pool and was rescued because other gusts spotted her tray floating in the water

The victims were pulled to safety by paramedics and rushed to the regional hospital where many had been diagnosed with cardiovascular problems.

One of the victims, identified by Univision Noticias as 21-year-old Jose Ignacio Lopez del Toro, remains in intensive care in a comatose state

The other eight people received medical attention in the Campestre Medical Hospital and have since been released.

 
Assistant Attorney General Manuel Angel Hernandez has launched a preliminary investigation to determine if charges would be filed in connection to the incident.

The Saturday pool party organized by Jagermeister brought together about 200 young people, among them several hostesses hired to promote the company’s alcoholic products.

At some point during the party, employees dressed in orange uniforms could be seen pouring liquid nitrogen into the pool, which quickly filled with thick white smoke.

A short time later, people standing on the pool deck raised the alarm after noticing that some of the revelers cavorting in the pool appeared unconscious. Among the victims was hostess Jael Jimenez.

 
Aftermath: Liquid nitrogen reacting with chlorine in the water formed a toxic cloud that left the young party goers gasping for breath

Aftermath: Liquid nitrogen reacting with chlorine in the water formed a toxic cloud that left the young party goers gasping for breath

 
Injured: Nine people were taken to area hospitals for treatment, including a 21-year-old man who suffered from cardiovascular complications that landed him in a coma

Injured: Nine people were taken to area hospitals for treatment, including a 21-year-old man who suffered from cardiovascular complications that landed him in a coma

‘They realized that I had fainted because they saw the tray floating alone in the pool, otherwise I might have drowned,’ Jimenez told Milenio.com.

MailOnline approached Jagermeister for comment Tuesday night, but have yet to receive a response. 
 

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s