Thousands Of Companies Around The World Are Revealing The Truth About The Economy
HEADS UP: The world’s biggest economies will be publishing their June manufacturing PMI reports over the next two days. This is our scorecard.
In recent weeks, volatility has returned to the the global financial markets as the Federal Reserve has signaled it could soon taper its stimulative bond-buying program. But any action would be conditioned on ongoing improvement in the U.S. economic data.
Abroad, China’s massive economy has shown signs of slowing as credit conditions have become tighter.
At the beginning of each month, Markit, HSBC, RBC, JP Morgan, and several other major data gathering institutions publish the latest local readings of the manufacturing purchasing managers index (PMI) for countries around the world.
PMI is one of the best leading indicators of the economy.
Each reading is based on surveys of hundreds of companies. Read more about it at Markit.
These are not the most closely followed data points. However, the power of the insights is unparalleled. Jim O’Neill, the former Goldman Sachs economist, believes the PMI numbers are among the most reliable economic indicators in the world. BlackRock‘s Russ Koesterich thinks it’s one of the most underrated indicators.
June 28 (All Times ET)
- 7:15 p.m. Japan: Markit/JMMA Manufacturing PMI — 52.3, up from 51.5 in May
June 30, July 1
- 7:30 p.m. Australia: AiG Manufacturing PMI —49.6, up from 43.8 in May
- 8 p.m. South Korea: HSBC Manufacturing PMI — 49.4, down from 51.1
- 9:00 p.m. China: NBS Manufacturing PMI — 50.1, down from 50.8
- 9:45 p.m. China: HSBC Manufacturing PMI —
- 10 p.m. Taiwan: HSBC Manufacturing PMI —
- 10 p.m. Vietnam: HSBC Manufacturing PMI —
- 11 p.m. Indonesia: HSBC Manufacturing PMI —
- 1 a.m. India: HSBC Manufacturing PMI —
- 1 a.m. Russia: HSBC Manufacturing PMI —
- 1 a.m. Ireland: Investec Manufacturing PMI —
- 3 a.m. Turkey: HSBC Manufacturing PMI —
- 3 a.m. Poland: HSBC Manufacturing PMI —
- 3 a.m. Netherlands: NEVI Manufacturing PMI —
- 3:15 a.m. Spain: Markit Manufacturing PMI —
- 3:45 a.m. Italy: Markit/ADACI Manufacturing PMI —
- 3:50 a.m. France: Markit Manufacturing PMI —
- 3:55 a.m. Germany: Markit/BME Manufacturing PMI —
- 4 a.m. Greece: Markit Manufacturing PMI —
- 4 a.m. Eurozone: Markit Manufacturing PMI —
- 4:30 a.m. U.K.: Markit / CIPS Manufacturing PMI—
- 9 a.m. U.S.: Markit Manufacturing PMI —
- 9 a.m. Brazil: HSBC Manufacturing PMI —
- 10 a.m. U.S.: ISM Manufacturing —
- 10:30 a.m. Mexico: HSBC Manufacturing PMI —
- 11 a.m. Global: JPMorgan Manufacturing PMI —