Cory Monteith dead at 31: ‘Glee’ actor died from heroin and alcohol overdose, toxicology test finds
Coroners in British Columbia found the 31-year-old actor ‘died from a mix of drug toxicity.’ Monteith was found dead Saturday in his Vancouver hotel room.
By Bill Hutchinson / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, July 17, 2013
Actor Cory Monteith (r.) was found dead on Saturday. This photo is from his last trip with girlfriend and co-star Lea Michele (l.) to Fire Island.
It’s the news that friends and loved ones of “Glee” star Cory Monteith feared most: he died of a overdose of heroin and alcohol.
Less than three months after completing his second stint in drug rehab, the 31-year-old heartthrob relapsed in the worse way, officials confirmed Tuesday.
Monteith, left, with Michele, was found dead in his Vancouver hotel room on Saturday. A toxicology report determined he died of a heroin and alcohol overdose.
“We’re here today to announce that we do now have a cause of death in the tragic death of Cory Monteith. That cause of death was a mixed drug toxicity, and it involved heroin, primarily, and also alcohol,” said Barb McLintock of the British Columbia Coroner’s Service.
The stunning announcement came a day after an autopsy and toxicology tests were done on Monteith’s body.
Fans gather at a small memorial to Canadian actor Monteith outside the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia, on Monday.
“Mr. Monteith’s family has been made aware of the circumstances surrounding the death,” McLintock said.
“It should be noted that at this point there is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith’s death was anything other than a most-tragic accident,” she said.
On- and off-screen couple Michele and Monteith attend a Rangers playoffs game last year.
Monteith, who played singing football player Finn Hudson on the FOX show, was found dead at about noon Saturday in his room at the luxury Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel in downtown Vancouver.
The actor had been open about his battle with drugs, saying in interviews that he began boozing and smoking pot at age 13 and entered rehab for the first time when he was 19.
Phillip Chin/Getty Images
Monteith was found dead Saturday at Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Monteith had just completed his latest stint in rehab in April.
His girlfriend, “Glee” co-star Lea Michele, 26, who learned of his death while in Mexico, released a statement Tuesday, saying she is “grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them.”
Michael Buckner/Getty Images for Chrysalis
Michele has asked for privacy as she grieves the tragic loss of Monteith.
“They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together,” Michele’s spokeswoman said.
Monteith — born in Calgary, Alberta, and raised in Victoria, British Columbia — had invited three friends, two women and a man, to his 21st-story hotel room Friday evening and left with them for a night on the town, police said.
He was last seen alive returning to his room alone at 2:15 a.m. Saturday.
“Our belief is that when he took the heroin he was alone,” said Vancouver Police spokesman Brian Montague. “There was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose. We’re not providing exactly what we found at the scene.”
Richard Monteith pleaded with his cousin’s fans not to judge him on what ended his life, but to remember “all the good things that he’s done.”
“There’s more things on that side to focus on,” Richard Monteith told Global BC TV in Canada.
“Because he is such a high profile guy, you know it is not going to end there,” he added. “There is going to be ridicule … and I just hope people know it is not about that. His life was full of beautiful stories, triumphs, failures and successes that it does not matter what his problems were