Explorers raise the bar — 1,574 silver ones — in WW II shipwreck
Odyssey Marine Exploration just finished a record-setting recovery effort in the North Atlantic, pulling 1,574 silver ingots from the wreck of merchant ship SS Gairsoppa three miles below the choppy seas. The total value is expected to rise more than $35 million. Continue reading
FDNY firefighters exposed to meningitis due to wrong patient info in 911 system
At least four New York firefighters and a supervisor sought medical attention after some of them were exposed to bodily fluids from a woman who had bacterial meningitis, sources told the Daily News. The snafu was caused by an NYPD dispatcher who put incorrect information about the patient into the 911 system. Continue reading
New York City man fatally electrocuted by ‘third rail’ as he jumps onto subway tracks to retrieve a dropped cell phone
Michael Lloyd/SWNS.com)Casey Snook, a 14-year-old girl from England, unknowingly racked up a $6,000 phone billby uploading photos to Facebook while on vacation in New York City, according to a story published Friday in the New York Post.
During the five-day trip with her mother, Kate Snook, Casey snapped photos of the Empire State Building, Times Square, Grand Central Station, and Central Park. Eager to share her travels with her friends, she uploaded the photos to Facebook. But since Casey hadn’t blocked her “data roaming” function, all that time spent on the Internet added up. Continue reading
Woman sets off 24 bug bombs at once, creating massive fire cloud and causing the partial collapse of Manhattan building
- A woman let off 24 bug bombs at once in a Manhattan building
- A pilot light ignited the cloud of highly flammable insecticide
- The cloud became a fireball that blasted through the Chinatown building
- The fire caused a roof collapse and extensive damage of the first three floors
- 15 people were injured, including four firefighters Continue reading
Billionaire George Soros, 82, planning lavish wedding to third wife Tamiko Bolton, 41, but guests banned from bringing gifts
- Filthy rich investor George Soros has printed more than 1,000 invitations for his wedding to third wife, 41-year-old Tamiko Bolton, but will only send out several hundred
- Guests have been asked to donate to non-profit organizations instead of buying a gift
- The celebrations will be extremely color-coordinated, according to the Daily News Continue reading
‘When people are spending a certain amount of money, they think they can have anything they want’: Bottle service girls lift the lid on New York nightclubs after dark
- Bottle service girls are paid minimum wage, but big tips mean they can earn $150,000 per year
- Many have to follow strict rules about weight and appearance, and deal with customers who offer them money for sex Continue reading
New York City building explosion hurts six: fire department
Firefighters responding to 17 Pike Street found part of the first floor collapsed and a fire burning in the building in the Chinatown district, a New York Fire Department spokesman said. The cause of the explosion was unclear. A fire official could not confirm reports suggesting that the explosion was caused by a gas leak, but a Consolidated Edison spokesman said gas had been shut off to the building as a precaution.
Four people were seriously injured in the incident and taken to Weill Cornell Medical Center. The other two, who suffered minor injuries, were transported to Bellevue Hospital, the fire department said. Fire and emergency workers were on the scene.
(Reporting by Chris Francescani, Editing by Paul Thomasch and Carol Bishopric)